Thursday, March 4, 2010

Authorial Intention

The purpose for this blog is two-fold:

1: to provide a space for the ideas I have that make it to the page is some sort of rational coherence.

2: to provide an archive of (some) my university papers, without any further editing than they received prior to being turned in.

This latter point is a cringe-inducing thought. As a writer, I wonder about putting forth work in any kind of public venue, let alone that with which I haven't edited for public consumption. But, being that these are the versions of papers that were graded and deemed to be worthy of the high marks which I received for them, they must be worth something. Of course, a reader could finish one and wonder how in the hell did he receive an A for this!? That teacher must be crazy. And to that I say, let's see your work and we'll analyze the rubric against which your instructors measured that work.

These university papers will be posted with information about what draft was handed in (I may be holding a blade to my own throat with that ideal); the grade for each was an A unless otherwise indicated.

As for the former idea, well, that's where the philippic of this comes it. Sometimes I write things that would best be heard as my barbaric YAWP atop a soap box (or milk crate) in a subway station of your choosing. That station then, quite likely, would be one that you were not personally in at the time of the YAWPing.

Schools; Departments:
Columbia College Chicago; Fiction Department (Fall 2007-Spring 2008)
University of North Carolina—Wilmington; Creative Writing (Fall 2008-Spring 2009), English (Fall 2009-current).


· • ·

No comments:

Post a Comment